Y Combinator* is the new Graduate School.
In some ways, it’s better:
- You pay to go to graduate school. YC pays you.
– After school, you get a job. After YC, you create jobs.
– You repeat the works of the greats in school. YC expects you to do original work.
– In school, you are graded on an arbitrary scale by arbitrary people. After YC, you are graded by the real world.
Some day, most schools in most disciplines will be like this.
* – Of course, “Y Combinator” is a generic term for Techstars, I/O Ventures, SeedCamp, Capital Factory, Founders Institute, and all of the other similar pre-angel incubators.